For GPs - why carers need support
There are over 33,000 carers looking after a friend, family member, partner or neighbour who needs their help due to illness, disability or old age in the London Borough of Croydon.
Research has shown that carers are at increased risk of long-term health problems, including back pain, mental health problems and stroke (Royal College of General Practitioners, 2013). Given these increased health risks, it's vital that carers receive the right support to help them take care of their health.
Refer a carer for support
Not Just a Patient report
As part of the Carers Week campaign to build carer friendly communities, the Carers’ Information Service surveyed 205 adult carers registered with a GP in the London Borough of Croydon about their experience of using GP services. Our research found:
- 61% of carers say their GP knows about their caring role.
- 82% of carers have not been informed of carer support available in the community.
- 59% of carers have not been informed of the NHS Health Check by their GP.
- Over a third (35%) of carers have not been informed of the annual flu jab by their GP.
- Almost half (49%) of carers want their GP to tell them about local carer support.
How we can help your surgery support carers
We can support practices by:
- Sending you a GP carer pack including posters, leaflets, GP carer checklist, our quarterly newsletter Carers News and an information pack for carers to display in your practice.
- Offering a GP carer referral system.
- Providing our carer checklist for GPs with guidance on carer support.
- Sharing good practice from other local surgeries.
- Offering a short ‘carer awareness’ talk for your staff meeting, patient participation group or carers' group.
To find out how we can help and to request a GP carer pack, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8649 9339, option 1.
For carers - what to expect from your GP
Our Carers GP Checklist can help carers know what to expect from their GP. Show it to your GP to help them support your health needs.
Recommend a GP practice
Is your GP surgery carer-friendly? If so, you may like to recommend them as carer-friendly on the Carers Week website. Your recommendations will help other carers find services that meet their needs.